[lbo-talk] re: anti war protest #s...

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Oct 26 19:11:46 PST 2003

Mark Rickling wrote:

> Last time I checked, neither is Chuck0.

As Mark nows, I'm a long time activist based in Washington, DC. I've been to my share of demos around the city and have spent some time studying crowd estimates of big Washington demos. It's funny that we arguing over an estimate of 20,000 versus 30,000, when ANSWER once again is claiming 100,000.

I'm calling them on their consistent lying.

What hasn't been discussed here is that demos like this set up the anti-war movement up for unfavorable comparisons with past demos. It doesn't take much for a jouranlist to look around and say, "Hey, this is a lot less than last January. This must mean that the movement is dying out."

<< Chuck0 >>

Homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Monumental Mistake (blog)-> http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/index.php Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ MutualAid ISP -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Infoshop Portal -> http://portal.infoshop.org/ Infoshop Science -> http://science.infoshop.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)