[lbo-talk] D.C. Rally: Poor Turnout?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Oct 26 21:05:46 PST 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I would love to see something like Doug speaks of here happen. I think
> he and Liza ought to give up their journalist careers and go out and
> organize it. I tried for years to get people to just get together to
> _talk_ about treatment of the elderly or medical care. They thought it
> was a good idea -- to chat about.

Yikes! Doug and Liza, please don't give up your journalist careers! The left needs all the good writers it can find right now. There are plenty of good organizers out there, but what they need is more money and resources.

> I wouldn't be drawn into too much of a fight over whether the demo was

> "big," since its bigness is measured by what the demonstrators do over

> the next 6 months or so after they return home. A young woman here who

> had only recently become involved in any kind of activity kicked in $50

> of her own money to help some students from ISU go.

I don't think any of us are discounting the little bits of radicalization that happen to people who go to these protests. The big problem revolves around the big picture. Do we encourage the development of mutliple anti-war and peace movements with different flavors and styles, or do we just go along with ANSWER, which is a medicore one trick quarterback? The F15 protests were the biggest anti-war protests this year? What model did they reflect? The anti-globalization movement, not the ANSWER style of protest.

<< Chuck0 >>