[lbo-talk] Shadia Drury: Straussian Sex Goddess

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 08:33:28 PST 2003

One
> thing I've never seen
> pointed out are the odd similarities in the appeal
> of Strauss and Ayn
> Rand.

A very interesting analogy. I haven't seen it either. Of course, one difference was that Strauss was a real scholar -- controversial, of course, but one who is regarded by professionals outside his circle to have made real contributions. I agree with this assessment, btw. Rand was a bad popular novelist who created a cult around ideas that only acolytes take seriously in the form that she expressed them. There are a handful of lib philosophers who have treated Rand as if she was a real philosopher, including Chris Sciabarra, a student of Ollman's who wrote an excellent book on Marx and Hayek, btw, but mainly philosophers and political theorists regard Rand as a crank, an incompetent amateur, while Strauss is regarded as in the fold.

However, there is something to Brian's idae that the appeal of both -- to different groups -- is similar.

Both appeal to those who see themselves as