[lbo-talk] They Have Come for Khordorkovsky

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:37:01 PST 2003

Peter, actually, upon reflection (hic -- damn is beer strong in Lithuania) I think that your reading of the Affaire Khodorkovsky could be cast readily in Marxist terms: The rentier class (the bureaucracy) vs. the productive big bourgeousie.

BTW if anybody is interested in an everyday Russian take on this issue, I asked Sasha, a mutual friend of Peter's and mine, what he thinks. He has appeared here before, most recently in an anti-Semitism exchangs. Sasha is kind of my barometer of middle-aged, educated, successful, middle-class Muscovite opinion. Vot:

Chris, you know I hate all the oligarchs. Khodorkovsky is probably not the worst one, but he is a thief all right. His personal fortune currently equals $7 billion and this is not his money, but the nation's. Another matter is that during Yeltsin time not a single law was observed in this part of the world. My opinion is that the government should re-nationalize oil, gas and metals (the profits should be used for resolving such pressing problems as epidemics, environment, unpaid wages and pensions, etc), and the oligarchs should be tried, convicted and amnestied from prison terms, but the money should be confiscated from them. -----Original Message----- From: Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> To: Date: 27 ÏËÔÑÂÒÑ 2003 Ç. 18:44 Subject: Re: Poka!

>What do you think about what's happening to Khodorkovsky? Good?
Bad? Both?

_________________________________________________________________ Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com