[lbo-talk] one view of the Greens

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 27 10:38:20 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Alan Jacobson wrote:
>
>> The Workers Vampire - for entertainment purposes only.
>

> They're completely right about all that local currency idiocy.
> Nostalgic claptrap for petit bourgeois romantics.

How so? It certainly wouldn't work as a substitute for widely-used currencies, that's obvious. But as for developing a smaller, more contained economy to keep trade in the neighborhood, it doesn't strike me as a bad or nostalgic idea. (Hard to see "nostalgia" in the scheme, since I can't recall any time when local currencies actually existed.) What's the argument against it?