[lbo-talk] whoring professions (was: Shadia Drury)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 28 06:27:32 PST 2003

Joanna:
> Well, being a capitalist kiss-ass never hurt anyone in this world. And
the last thirty years
> were the years of the "meritocracy": you know, starting from an equal
playing field, some
> folks rose and some folks sank. And that's all she wrote.

I guess it is more than just a capitalist phenomenon. Symbol manipulators tend to be mental whores in any system - because turning mental tricks for those in a position to pay for them is the only way they can make a living.

A physician, a shrink, or a lawyer can perform a useful service to - and thus be paid by individuals. Ditto for engineers and architects, albeit their work is more capital intensive and thus requires some public input. But who in his right mind would remunerate a symbol manipulator at a level that would provide a comfortable living? People may pay 20 bucks for a good book or throw some spare change to a beggar to make themselves feel good and important - but they will not support a full-time symbol manipulator, let alone a whole class of them.

So the only choice for the economists, sociologists and assorted symbol manipulator is either (a) teach which few of them are willing or qualified to do because it is a hard work (b) join the reserve army of the unemployed or (c) turn mental tricks for wealthy clients who are in the position to reward them handsomely.

Social and political science are the whoring professions by nature and were recognized as such in the x-Soviet system. It is not that much different here.

Wojtek