[lbo-talk] RE: one view of the Greens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 28 06:59:06 PST 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

>"And why is keeping trade in the neighborhood so desirable, anyway?
>That sounds cramped, xenophobic, and suffocating."
>
>1. reduces driving, reduces energy consumption
>2. makes seller more accountable to buyer
>3. locally grown stuff, according to some, is healthier
>4. customizes market to buyer

Before there were national markets, buyers often faced local monopolies. In a small market, there can't be much specialization, either. So local production can reduce choice and contribute to higher prices. This is even true on a national scale. Before Japanese cars hit the U.S. market, the Big Three were producing crappy cars.

Yes, locally grown food can be better, and when it is I'm all for it. But that would mean no lettuce in January for most of the U.S.

Doug