[lbo-talk] Fwd: [DEBATE] : After Theory...what?

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Oct 28 13:19:29 PST 2003

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006DF89.htm
>
> After Theory...what?
> by Sandy Starr
>
> Eagleton's attitude is
> more understandable, however, when you consider that one of the few
> distinguishing characteristics of the new anti-capitalism is an
> aversion to change and progress.

The globo-Left is much more complicated than this. We may not have a coherent form just yet, but most of us do have a profound insight: the refusal to accept the neolib/neocon version of (pre)history -- the IMF/neocon mantra of "Deregulate everything in sight, screw the poor, give to the rich, and you, too, will become just like us rich white people" -- as the last word.

The importance of cultural theory is that culture is where authentic change -- the utopian drive, human emancipation, or whatever you want to call it -- is concretely perceived and felt. To paraphrase the eye-popping trailer for the Matrix 3, it's the interzone between the Machine-world and the Human-world, the Loop where mobilization goes MOBIL.

-- DRR