[lbo-talk] HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Oct 30 08:25:35 PST 2003

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 10:49 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> People like Patrick Bond (who should be back on this list in a few
> days) argue that this is a strength - "one no, many yesses." That just
> won't do, when the ruling class has a pretty good idea of what they
> want, and lots of power to back it up.

To what extent does this strategic error come from the tactics of community organizing?

I've always heard it said (and seen it practiced) that, when you're opposing something, you should just unite around opposing it, and put the problem of finding a new solution onto the authorities. It's a pretty good tactic so far as it goes, but it sure doesn't prepare you to use power or convince people you're competent to do so.

I'm also curious about the role of apocalyptic thinking in creating this error.

Again, it may be good tactics to say (sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally) the world is coming to an end if thus and such happens, but when you lose a fight and the world keeps on spinning, over time people figure out that they've been bullshitted. (It also makes it harder to convince people on the few issues which really are that serious.)

All the best,

John A

see me fulminate at http://www.jzip.org/