[lbo-talk] Kucinich? Come on!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 30 08:27:26 PST 2003

Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>Sorry, you make a good case, but no can do.
>
>Dean: "Set the nation on the path to a balanced budget, recognizing that we
>cannot have social or economic justice without a sound fiscal foundation."

Classical Swedish social dem believed that - I don't know what it believes now. Jim O'Connor said somewhere - maybe in Fiscal Crisis of the State? - that debt increases capital's power over the state. And there's nothing like a deficit to fuel the "we can't afford X" line. Borrowing money from rich people is a cowardly and self-defeating substitute for taxing them.

Doug