[lbo-talk] FW: Help Defeat Question 3

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 31 06:44:39 PST 2003

Nathan:
> It's actually more that non-partisan races will increase the number of
> conservative Democrats elected.
>
> Democrats generally win local elections in NYC other than the mayoral
level,
> so Democratic primaries usually decide who wins local city council
races.

I understand that historically, nonpartisan election yielded more conservative candidates but my question was why.

My concern is that arguing for or against a proposition simply by saying that it produces a favorable on unfavorable to a particular interest group outcome may not have a broad appeal. A better way is to argue that proposition undermines some general principle - for example it increases cost of political participation for many people, which undermines democracy (see my response to Doug's posting on the same subject).

Wojtek