[lbo-talk] Scandanavian Social Democratic Economies Are the Most Competitive

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Oct 31 07:51:14 PST 2003

Justin wrote:

> Finland, U.S. Most Competitive Economies, Report Says
> Thu Oct 30, 7:32 AM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to
> My Yahoo!
>
> So There!

I was talking to a friend who interned at the CATO insitutute several years ago. He told me that one of the CATO dudes (can't remember which one) claimed that libertarians and conservatives should face facts, acknowledge that Sweden's economy isn't going to collapse anytime soon, and (I think) find other arguments against such social democratic arrangements.

According to a _Money_ magazine article cited by Gore Vidal in an interview a few years ago, the US is 19th in median standard of living. Guess which countries we're behind.

-- Luke