[lbo-talk] IT programmers and creeping fascism

Kerry Keane kkeane at popmail.colum.edu
Fri Oct 31 10:12:28 PST 2003

I'm not surprised by this at all - I've been familiar with this culture in IT for years.

You can add lots and lots of misogyny - paranoia about women in the workplace, or women's influence on politics - to that list.

I've seen far too many IT people complain about how Western society is "female-dominated" - a lot of the talk is very conspiracist. I lurk on "men's rights" forums and the people on them are invariably programmers. You can find some really paranoid, wacky stuff on those sites.

The outward trappings are libertarian, but behind it all are just plain old right-wing sentiments.

Has anyone read Paulina Boorsook's "Cyberselfish"?

"Libertarian" --> anti-"PC" --> fear of anyone who is not a straight white guy.

(back to lurking)

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Dwayne Monroe Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 10:09 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] IT programmers and creeping fascism

But as I said, we've seen this before.

Didn't some auto and factory workers also, during the first shock of job losses and 'off-shoring' which hit in the 1970's also say and do rude things about and against 'foreigners'.

Do you remember that photo of auto workers in Detroit smashing a little (already pretty much wrecked) Toyota? These men were not re-evaluating their place in the American system, they were striking an (ineffective) blow against those damn Japanese.

Some of those men probably drifted into fascist-esque affiliations through which they could nurse grievances with like minded fellows.

Isn't this just what some Americans do when the promised gravy train fails to hit the station as expected?

The IT worker saga is merely the latest, almost completed chapter of a long book of woe, confusion and inaccurate identification of one's true enemies.