[lbo-talk] Re: Iraqi public opinion

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at bigzoo.net
Mon Sep 1 12:54:58 PDT 2003

None of Yoshie's post speaks to the fact that the people of Iraq have been living in war conditions one way or another for decades, which has ended with their country finally being torn all to hell by an immeasurably more powerful enemy which was already the vast majority of them, who are not religious fanatics or members of the Ba'athist party or power seekers seeing their opportunity, are really tired of this shit and don't want to do it anymore, and so are reluctant to grab guns and start blasting away...I'm not saying that's a good approach to their situation, just that it's quite understandable to me. It is possible that a nation's people can be so beat up on that average folks are so traumatized and surrounded by chaos they can't react anymore, or at least not right now. It's not a failing, it's being human.

Oh, and BTW, Doug, about 16 months ago I moved here to Bradenton, Florida from the town I'd spent the past 14 years in: Bloomington, Illinois. If it was their only choice, some of them would probably move there from Iraq right now. But I don't know how long they would stay. It would not be a welcoming environment. I'm still amazed: somehow I spent 14 years of my life in a community I never felt a part of...

Maria