[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky on Foucault

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 18:46:41 PDT 2003

Very true CG. Foucault did what any good anarchist or marxist or committed liberal for that matter would do; show how power articulated itself. You dont need him for theories on that though and what theories there are are not terribly mind boggling. The historical work isnt always or often very reliable unlike Noam's or others who are more scrupulous with detail.

I spent alot of time in France growing up and I always imagined that a lot of his importance there is due to a stultifying official communist environment and the lack of many Chomsky like figures which makes Foucault appear more novel than he actually was. His importance in other countries may have something to do with fashionable imports that arent too threatening at first glance.

--- "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
> This hardly does justice to what Chomsky has
> actually written, e.g., what he's had to say about
Marxism, or his treatment of particular historical and political questions from the run-up to the Pacific War, through the vagaries of the media, to his account of elite divisions preceding the invasion of Iraq. --CGE