[lbo-talk] re: Chomsky on Focal

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Mon Sep 1 19:09:35 PDT 2003

At 9/1/2003,, you wrote:

>You certainly see this on the "Manufacturing Consent" DVD Special =
>Features section. Foucault prattles on on on on while Chomsky strains to =
>make sense of what he's saying. I've known more than a few lefties who =
>find value in Foucault's work, and like Chomsky I don't understand it. =
>Are there any Foucault fanciers here who might give it a go?
>
>DP

I read the Birth of the Clinic years ago and found it only made sense to me because of a background in the sociology and economics of health care, political philosophy classes and an undergrad minor in philosophy. Reading Madness and Civilization and The Order of Things were the mental equivalent of trying to swim in honey, exhausting and not especially rewarding. The Foucault reader was marginally better, shorter material to slog through at any rate.

I dunno, he makes sense to me, but he seems to take a very long time to get there.

PC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo