[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky on Foucault

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 1 20:46:36 PDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:20:34 -0700 (PDT), andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Right. Because it is deep and hard. Chomsky can be
> explained to your neighbor because his theory is
> vulgar Marxism, which is true at first approximation,
> but very easy to understand. The rich control
> everything, including the govt. The govt acts in their
> interest, totally amorally. Decent people won't fall
> for their les and double standards. That's the theory.
> Most peoplein this country believe it.

Actually, Chomsky does present a social "theory" in his media analysis, although most of it can be ascribed to Ed Herman. It's the general outline of power in media outlined in _Manufacturing Consent_. That's one place where Chomsky and Herman offer an actual structured theory of the behavior of the news media. But usually, Chomsky doesn't try to tease out any grand theories of power in the rest of his work. Most of the time, he's presenting historical facts and commentary, and one doesn't need a formal theory to do that. (I also think he's reluctant to present any because, well, grand social science theories have this awful habit of turning wrong.)