[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky on Foucault

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 07:07:00 PDT 2003

> But that's just what gets our plain-speaking types all riled up. If
> you just speak the truth in simple sentences - that would counter all
> the lies told by the government and the media . . . It's the lies and the
> lying liars who tell them (TM) and not the credulity of the public
> that produces nonsense like Osama = Saddam. Doesn't Chomsky believe
> that humans are hardwired for truth and it's only the lies of the
> powerful that confuse them?
>
> Doug

Chomsky believes in Cartesian common sense, that each one of us has it, but must work to use it. And as a plain-speaker (to the degree that I speak plainly), I don't think that using simple sentences and small words alone counters the massive propaganda that average people absorb every day -- but it does help to break down some of it, and makes it easier to digest or understand. Still, though, there are those who enjoy the propaganda, who believe in it and will fight to keep it intact, and no amount of plain speaking will alter that.

DP