[lbo-talk] anti-Coxian Coxian

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 2 07:20:07 PDT 2003

-
> From Portside.

.

From: Magali Sarfatti Larson

Date: Sat Aug 30, 2003

Subject: the "left" and the elections

Every 4 years, and even every 2 years, we hear from "the left" about what

progressives should do. In the meantime, this left is silent: it has not been

the leader in the anti-war movement, it has not visibly energized local

campaigns, it has not started clubs, coffee houses or other arenas where one

could talk and politics could be formed. Portside and Move-on are the two

organizations that have made the mnost effective use of the Internet to reach

out, at least in my experience, and the "Dean for America" organization has

followed suit with exhilarating openness and success. Politics IS dicussed at

the Dean Meetups. The "real left" obsesses about the importance of elections

that we cannot win, only "influence"... or so we think, as if elections were the

only political activity in the world. In the meantime, the urgency of 2004

seems to escape many Portside writers; even Norman Solomon writes one piece

against Dean and implicitly contradicts himself the next day! If one more

"progressive" informs me with ponderous self-indulgence that "Dean is not on the

left" (thank you for the news) I will stop even listening to anything that calls

itself "from the left." The Greens talk as if this was still "business as

usual," cocksure that they pushed Gore "to the left!" (no evidence needs to be

given, right?). Dream on! Inthe meantime, the Bush administration has plans for

decades of one-party rule (as the Texas redistricting strategy shows), the

judiciary is veering to the far-right all the way down from the Supreme Court,

and the dangers of a second Bush presidency to the US and the world are far from

even the usual fare served by corporate America. We can go on dealing with our

not too coherent utopias and symbolic ideal principles (let's endorse a woman

candidate --never mind her record-- let's support a black candidate because he

is black, let's run Ralph Nader ... who cares if we use resources and energy in

"advancing" principles that died on the branch after the last "spoiler campaign"

of 2000?). The fact is that we do not have anything resembling a set of clear

ideas for an extremely complicated world. Much of the "left" refuses to

analyze

what the larger sections of the public actually think, or feel, or know (isn't

it that 62% still believe Iraq attacked us on September 11? and 59% agree the

invasion of Iraq was "worth it"?). In fact, we can think what we like and deal

in political talk that has absolutely no effect, because we don't have the

remotest hope or even the faintest illusion of ever coming close to governing.

This irrelevance and ideological disconnect has become the hallmark of the

American "left" and the rest of the world knows it well.

Magali Larson

-- Michael Pugliese