[lbo-talk] France's heat wave

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 2 11:41:29 PDT 2003

Sure, blame the lazy, greedy, selfish workers! In fact, the disaster was entirely the result of governmental incompetence. First Jospin, adhering to the stupid Maastricht constraints, then Chirac-Raffarin, adding in their own stupid Bushit tax cuts, simply failed to spend enough money. Air conditioners, emergency personnel, social workers, nurses--it would have been easy to buy whatever things were needed and to hire as many staff as needed. But "Left" and "Right" governments refused to budget for the foreseeable consequences of the effects of global warming. Some 12000 avoidable deaths resulted.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64