[lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Sep 2 15:22:26 PDT 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>Why does that surprise you?

-I would have thought that the support for the separation of church & -state was a bit stronger than 19%. But 77% is up there with the share -believing in angels and an afterlife, so I guess I shouldn't be -surprised.

Without agreeing with Judge Moore, a lot of people feel comfortable with separation of church and state, as long as no particular church is getting favoritism, which is what honest history says the first amendment was about. Promoting the Ten Commandments doesn't even favor Christians against Jews or Muslims, since all respect Moses. Okay, the Buddhists and atheists aren't happy, which is why the federal court decision was right, but this is hardly incipient theocracy rearing its head to want tokens of faith around. They shouldn't get it by court doctrine but I don't see anything that terrible with folks wanting otherwise.

-- Nathan