[lbo-talk] 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge

Jacob Conrad jakub at att.net
Tue Sep 2 18:36:37 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>> Why does that surprise you?
>

> I would have thought that the support for the separation of church &
> state was a bit stronger than 19%. But 77% is up there with the share
> believing in angels and an afterlife, so I guess I shouldn't be
> surprised.
>
> Doug

Yeah, you would think, or hope, that this one would be a no-brainer for most people. On the other hand, you also have to wonder how deep it goes. Perhaps these poll results are simply a reflection of the exaggerated deference that people vaguely think ought to be paid to religion, the public opinion equivalent of the American prayer position that people assume whenever they're at some public event and someone gets up to offer an invocation--hands crossed over their genitals and staring embarrassedly at their shoes.

Jacob Conrad