[lbo-talk] power of religion ( 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 3 10:51:04 PDT 2003

Doug:
> Speaking of being critical of religion - damn, won't anyone stand up
> for secularism anymore? Are American lefties so cowed by the dominant
> piety that we're afraid to say it's all a crock? Yes, heart of a
> heartless world, but the grip of piety on our society is a problem, a
> very serious problem. A symptom of the very heartlessness, for sure,
> but whatever happened to the desire to strangle the last priest with
> the entrails of the last king (or was it the other way around?)?

Doug, while I share these sentiments, I also think that the power of religion lies not in its doctrine, but in its organization. The doctrine is like the football team name - the team wins or looses not because the bird they adopted as their logo is more powerful than other birds (say eagles and ravens), but because it has better organization. Spitting on the team's mascot, (an eagle or a raven) is not the best strategy to win a game either.

Likewise, criticizing religious beliefs and doctrine will not do you any good in a fight against organized religion. Much of organized religion in this country is not about beliefs and doctrine, but about authority and social control - it is basically a fascist/nationalist ideology in a multi-ethnic state, where common ethnic roots would not have the same appeal.

Stated differently, organized religion (or rather its certain branches) is powerful in this country not because of the sway of their ideology, but because of material support of fascist elements in the US society. Religious doctrine and piety is but a shadow these fascist elements cast on the society and politics of this country. Attacking that shadow does not make a dent on the power relations that put these fascists in the leadership role in the first place.

Wojtek