[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Wed Sep 3 15:40:00 PDT 2003

Doug asked:

> I'm trying to think of a socially useful contribution of the

> Baptists. Maybe someone can help me out.

Judson Memorial Church on Washington Square South. And the Revs Howard Moody and Al Carmines. <http://www.judson.org/history.htm> And Judson House that was at the center of my life for a couple of years <http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0030/carr.php>

Judson story: When the Living Theatre <http://www.livingtheatre.org/abou/history.html> were performing "Paradise Now" at BAM they stayed with us at Judson House. They did a benefit in the church. The Baptist General Board or whatever wrote a shocked letter to Rev Moody saying that they had been informed that there had been nude dancing in the sanctuary around the altar, and sought assurance that the report was unfounded. Moody replied that unfortunately the report was true, but that steps had been taken to make certain that such a thing could never happen again; the altar had been removed.

john mage