[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 3 16:23:41 PDT 2003

Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com wrote:

> Different day, same question: What is to be done?

The first step is probably to decide where, given our political weight, and given a rough and ready hierarchy of crucial concerns, we should try to do anything. (Probably "we" needs a little filling in too.) I don't think church & state is among the most pressing issues facing the human species _or_ the american public.

Also, religion _is_ an ideology: and ideologies are only broken _within the framework_ of a struggle against the conditions which generate the ideology, NOT by a direct struggle against the ideology itself. The old image of pushing on a string comes to mind.

Carrol