[lbo-talk] Arguments for a Secular America

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 3 16:59:36 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Also, religion _is_ an ideology: and ideologies are only broken _within
>the framework_ of a struggle against the conditions which generate the
>ideology, NOT by a direct struggle against the ideology itself. The old
>image of pushing on a string comes to mind.

A lovely piece of base-superstructure vulgarity. How do you "struggle against the conditions" if people, in the grip of ideology, don't see the condition as either a problem, or transformable by collective action? But it fits in nicely with your whole "nothing to be done" position - since "we" are too few and too weak, we can't do anything until conditions ripen. How and when that might happen is anyone's guess.

Doug