[lbo-talk] Moore's Less?

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 11:23:51 PDT 2003

> Yeah, Michael was impossible when he edited the Flint
> and the Michigan Review in the 1980s, a real tyrant. I
> think that as much as the Nicaragua flap was why he
> was fired from Mother Jones. jks

Not to nitpick, Justin, but it was the Flint/Michigan Voice that Moore ran. I used to have a stack of back issues. They were pretty good, and I can see why the old Mo Jones took a chance on him. I knew someone who worked for Moore there, and he said the same thing, that Moore was a tyrant. He alienated much of the staff, and when a legitimate editorial issue came up -- whether or not to run Paul Berman's Nicaragua piece -- Moore didn't have the support he could have had. He then went to Cockburn who inflated the issue in Beat The Devil as one of Rich Man (Adam Hochschild) vs. Working Stiff (Moore), omitting mention of Moore's office conduct. And then Moore went further in "Roger & Me," suggesting that he was fired because he wouldn't run a story on herbal tea. Again, embellishment on his part. And for what -- laughs? Satire? Political commentary? Sometimes Moore pulls it off beautifully. Other times it's Armour Ham fisted.

DP