[lbo-talk] Dean and the White Man's Burden was Pollitt on Dean

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 4 11:49:34 PDT 2003

> So, with proper paternalism, we will destroy their
> existing social order with force, and make them have
> what we know they will like, because it will be good
> for them. God, I hate utilitarians!
>
> jks

In light of the positions I've taken in the past, I can't blame you for your interpretation, but that's not what I meant. How to promote democracy in non-democratic social orders is a real problem without any one size fits all solution(s). Even when and where there are solutions, we might not (often are not) bright enough to conceive of and implement them.

-- Luke