[lbo-talk] Religious joke

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Fri Sep 5 07:23:17 PDT 2003

Something many people don't realize is that the Hindu religion teaches if one follows Hindu spiritual laws, such as the ones protecting the highest caste, the Brahmin, they will have good karma and be born into a higher caste "in the next life". If one does not obey these rules, one is born into a lower caste, and if one is on the low end of the scale already, one can be reborn as a cow. Thus reincarnation is a method to keep people in their place by making them obey the rules, such as don't touch or harm a Brahmin, or they will suffer in their next life. It even tells people why they have their lowly status - because they were "bad" in a past life. If they obey all the rules, they will move up in caste in the next life - social advancement, unnecessary during life since it happens in death. The concept of reincarnation and karma is, of course, very tied into maintaing the class (caste) system.

-- Lance