[lbo-talk] employment

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 5 09:09:12 PDT 2003

This morning's U.S. employment report sucked. The survey of employers showed a loss of 93,000 jobs, when flat to slightly up was a reasonable expectation. We've now had seven consecutive months of job loss, something we've never seen outside a recession. The workweek was short and almost every industrial sector shed jobs. The survey of households showed a shrinkage in the labor force - the entire reason for the decline in unemployment from 6.2% to 6.1%. The share of the adult population working was flat, and remains at a low for this cycle. People are buying stuff, but it's not with their paychecks - it's all tax refunds and mortgage refinancing. If the job market doesn't recover soon, we're in trouble.

Doug