[lbo-talk] labels (was: Arguments for a Secular America (Was : 77% of Americans support the cretinous judge)

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Fri Sep 5 09:18:07 PDT 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in exhortations about its
>virtues or vices.

Precisely, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I attended a mission school for all of 13 years. I know what was taught, being on the receiving end. I appreciate what I learned. At the same time, on hindsight, I realise what was going on -- and it wasn't just religion, which I didn't mind at the time anyway since I was deeply religious.

As far as the monks were concerned, while there were one or two rebels -- I actually don't recall any in my school, but there were one or two nuns from the convent -- the majority... well, the less said the better. And this despite the fact that a fair number were Irish.

I will also happily admit that while the mission school is, in effect, no more, having been taken over by the state, I still believe that at the formal academic level, the teaching was better then.

kj khoo