[lbo-talk] employment

Cliff Staples clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Fri Sep 5 09:27:33 PDT 2003

I had to chuckle this morning at the headline on productivity increases in the business section of my local paper. It said: "Employers Suck More out of Workers." I was amazed and amused to see such an honest description of what "productivity" is fundamentally all about. But it also made me think that this straightforwardness suggests that people no longer feel quite the need to hide the truth about how capitalism works, suggesting further a smug confidence in the powerlessness of those workers to do much about it.

In any case, Doug, when you say "we're in trouble," well who is "we?" If productivity is increasing and labor is weak, then capital gets increased profits instead of workers getting increased wages. So who cares about how many jobs are created or destroyed? Aren't there enough foreign markets to soak up the crap unemployed Americans can't afford?

Cliff

p.s. What's the profit rate doing the past 18 months (I know, look at the front page of LBO...)?