[lbo-talk] employment

Cliff Staples clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Fri Sep 5 11:48:08 PDT 2003

>No. This is a huge economy and it needs lots of domestic demand to keep
>going, and dom dem can't keep going just on refi and tax refunds (which
>are fading stimuli now). By "we" I meant the U.S. macroeconomy, rudely and
>recklessly effacing all the differences of class, region, sector, etc.
>George Bush sure cares about the labor market, or he'll find himself
>following in his father's footsteps, though, unlike his father, well
>before normal retirement age.
>
>Doug

Just curious... is there any evidence-- from behavioral economics studies, or in the business press, or from people snooping around boardrooms, that CEOs-- of the Fortune 500, say, actually worry about such things? I accept that George Bush better care, but might there not be some slippage between his concerns and the concerns of corporate capital? Last I knew, the latter unfortunately don't have to worry about getting elected. What evidence is there that capitalists care about the macro economy in general, or employment specifically?

Cliff -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030905/ff6f23eb/attachment.htm>