[lbo-talk] Fwd: Letter to the Editor in Defense of the Hollyw ood Blacklist of Communists

Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com Curtiss_Leung at ibi.com
Fri Sep 5 13:05:40 PDT 2003

Ah, the archives. Just like the Venona decrypts "proved" I.F. Stone was a Soviet agent? A pretty low standard of proof, if you ask me.

I don't know how people here feel about Murray Kempton's _Part of Our Time_, but his take on Hollywood screenwriters who refused to testify is interesting. They were party members, they were given to vicious and petty infighting, and they lived lives of considerable luxury--but they did not at all deserve what they got at the hands of the House Un-American Activities Committee, and their refusal to testify was their finest hour.

Curtiss