[lbo-talk] Re: Employment

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Sep 5 14:50:52 PDT 2003

Doug writes:

"So we're back to Reich's secessionist fifth? But the number with unearned incomes is very small (and with interest rates this low, their incomes are smaller than they've been). And those with secure job tenure are - tenured professors, and...? I think the numerical threat of offshoring white collar and tech labor is probably quite a bit smaller than the psychological fear of it, but it's got a lot of people afraid. So it's probably more like a secessionist twentieth at this point."

Job tenure includes: gov jobs, military, education, sales, marketing, finance, local service.

The issue that comes up for me in terms of capitalist survival is this: is the consumption power of an ever more "productive" and diminishing workforce up to the demands of an ever expanding economy? I think not.

Looks like the capitalists are sowing the seeds of their own destruction...as they did 100 yrs ago...until FDR bailed them out. Currently they are intoxicated by the depth and breadth of their power...to move capital...to manipulate the hypnotized masses, etc. So intoxicated that they forget that screwing the workers is only half of the circuit of capital. Then, they have to turn around and sell...to someone...anyone?

Joanna