[lbo-talk] Sandbox Politics vs the American Anti-War Movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 6 08:53:47 PDT 2003

Note: The ISU server which handles incoming mail is down, so I cannot at this time retrieve any of my email. We can, however, send mail.

I have been rereading the cluster of threads around the question of what demands the organized anti-war movement should put forward in its demonstrations and forums. And the more I consider it, it seems to me that Doug, Joan, and others are indeed committed to the foreign policy advocated a century ago by Kipling. But even more serious is that they are playing sandbox politics. For example, Dout wrote:

****

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote: By that logic, the United States government, or any other government [clip]

The question was how to extricate Iraq from the mess it's in now, and minimize the suffering of Iraqis, something you don't seem to address much other than to say it's the business of Iraqis, who don't have any institutions or resources to accomplish the task. I also said this should not be the U.S.'s role, so this point is doubly irrelevant.

[Yoshie] In any case, no one but Iraqis themselves is capable of unifying the [clip]

What does this have to do with getting the electricity running? - Doug ****

This would be even minimally rational if, _and only if_, the President had asked Doug what U.S. policy for the next serveral months should be. Addressed to a group of fellow leftists it is simply childish.

I is what I call sandbox politics: pontificating in a way that only makes sense if one is talking directly to those who (a) can make a decision and (b) are prepared to listen to you.

How soon, Doug, do you think we can convince Bush that he should follow your advice and get the electricity turned on? How are we going to effect politics soon enough to help anyone in Iraq this year?

Carrol