Fwd: [lbo-talk] "globalization" is pretty popular

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 10:56:22 PDT 2003

Doug wrote:

I sent this the other day hoping it would provoke some conversation, but it didn't. This contradicts a lot of "left" wisdom on "globalization." The concept, whatever it means exactly, is apparently popular even in Vietnam, Brazil, Nigeria, Mexico, and Old Europe.

************

I think this got lost in the debates over the "cretinous judge" or the "Dean and the White Man's Burden" thread that went in amusingly odd directions.

I must admit that I found this surprising, particularly the results for thoroughly industrialized nations with deep experience with corporatism and its discontents.

I believe a simple answer is available.

Many (probably most) folks around the globe are in favor of and excited by the idea of our international order. The flaws are immense but the neon glow still excites.

Global computer culture, pop music, film, slick gadgets and all the rest of the contemporary whirl are exciting and dynamic distractions. Young people in particular are attracted to this glittering world.

As I've said before, I think this aspect of the global scene is better understood by novelists like William Gibson and Neal Stephenson than many activists who are, quite rightly, focused on corporate crime.

Corporations still seem to be the vanguard of the modern to many people.

Imagine you're living in a small town in Botswana or Hungary, Microsoft would appear to be the symbol of all that's new, titanium clean and forward looking and not an innovation-stifling monopolist.

This would go for Nike, Coca Cola and the rest of the rogues' gallery.

Until the "anti-globalization" movement (or whatever term is more accurate) understands this attraction efforts will be of limited effectiveness.

DRM