Fwd: [lbo-talk] "globalization" is pretty popular

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Sep 7 11:53:47 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [I sent this the other day hoping it would provoke some conversation,
> but it didn't. This contradicts a lot of "left" wisdom on
> "globalization." The concept, whatever it means exactly, is apparently
> popular even in Vietnam, Brazil, Nigeria, Mexico, and Old Europe. No
> reaction? Or would people rather not think about this? Too busy getting
> ready to protest Cancun?]

It's a bogus survey, of course, because most people mistakenly think that globalization is the same as internationalism. People think that the Internet is a form of globalization, when we here know that globalization is an economic scheme designed to protect the interests of the rich on a global scale. The capitalists seem to be working hard to confuse people, but I'd point out that globalization isn't doing so well these days, thanks in part to our activism.

> Anti-globalization protesters, on the other hand, are held in low esteem
> worldwide-even though the public thinks many of the problems the
> protestors rail against, including the availability of jobs and the gap
> between the rich and the poor, are worsening. And Pew's global surveying
> found that popular support for trade is more muted than enthusiastic,
> especially among less affluent people in most countries.

What a bunch of pure bullshit. What did they do, ring up some peasants in Colombia and ask them what they thought of anti-globalization protesters? This whole statement bring into question the accuracy of this survey, because there has been widespread support for anti-globalization activists for years. Does this survey suddenly disappear all of those anti-IMF riots in the Global South?

Chuck0