[lbo-talk] employment

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Sep 7 19:05:06 PDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 03:03 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Capitalists in the consumer sector sure have to care, otherwise no
> customers. But they're not big on thinking systematically - and they
> sure never think, "If I outsource this to China, I'll be eroding my
> customer base."

My understanding has always been that capitalism works on the principle that Capitalist A screws his/her workers, assuming consciously or unconsciously that Capitalists B, C, D, ... will do right by theirs, so that there will still be markets for A's goods. Meanwhile, B, C, D, ... screw their workers, etc. ...

In other words, what Karl called the anarchy of the capitalist system.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _______________________________ "For the world is not to be narrowed till it will go into the understanding (which has been done hitherto), but the understanding is to be expanded and opened until it can take in the image of the world." -- Francis Bacon