[lbo-talk] Re:employment

Jose Rodriguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Mon Sep 8 16:01:29 PDT 2003

I cannot really afford to shop at Walmart on a regular basis, but when and if I make a big purchase - like an electronic item - I would think of going to Walmart or whatever. When Walmarts and Home Depot and Walgreens first came into this area, it seemed like the prices were super low for everything, but then as they became established (after driving the smaller local stores out of business I suppose), the prices for basic stuff crept up, but bigger ticket items are still usually the best deals. So now people who can afford it just go out of habit to Walmart - like my mother-in-law. She constantly complains at how expensive they are now, but she keeps going. Other I have heard say that in the end they probably save money. I think the big appeal of Walmart -- here anyway -- is its newness and trendiness, its -- dare I say -- "all-Americanness". Most stores have been built in the last five years or so -- and they have everything and are so bright and clean and cheery. So the older but cheaper department stores, like Pitusa just aren't as attractive as Walmart et al. -- plus they are not in convienent areas for the gated community dwellers even though they sell more or less the same stuff at better prices. More importantly, I think, is that Pitusa-ish stores are full of poor people. One thing I still cannot figure out though is why people flock to Sam's Club -- its rather grungy (they have pigeons which live up in the rafters!), its always crowded, the people are rude, you have to pack your own groceries after paying to belong (gasp!), and it only sells packaged/processed food or nasty old produce. I can see buying your beer there -- but food -- give me the local grocery or plaza mercado anyday!

Sally Everson

----- Original Message ----- From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 4:28 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re:employment