[lbo-talk] Re: "globalization" is pretty popular

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Sep 8 18:46:30 PDT 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck0 wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to put my finger on the exact reasons for the
>> decline of anti-globalization protests in the U.S.

> You mention 9/11, but also: the boom ended, and so did the Clinton
> years. Recessions are often bad for political activity, as fear takes
> precedence over hope. And people are busy opposing Bush and the
> Republicans; we need another Dem in the WH so they'll start protesting
> capitalism again.

If protest activity is merely tied to shallow economic conditions liek you suggest, then I may as well throw in the towel and enjoy the rest of my life. I'm more into free will than Calvinistic economic determination. It's been my view that the anti-capitalist movement broke out like it did because it made its own agenda and escaped from the deterministic clutches of the left.

"You can't do that now because the economic and political conditions aren't right!"

I'm feeling very depressed and pessimistic about activism today.

Chuck0