[lbo-talk] Triumph of the Ill

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 9 06:29:41 PDT 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> So long to the gal who made the Third Reich roll (apologies to The
> Residents).
>
> <http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Obit-Riefenstahl.html?hp>
>
> "Triumph" is riveting for the mass rallies and the close-ups of
> mechanized Hitler youth, which includes some playful homoerotic scenes
> of the Nazi lads bathing.

I rented that one a few years ago, just to have that particular cultural artifact "under my belt." And while I was watching the young Nazi boys playfully romping, rolling over gigantic athletic balls, playing soccer, I kept thinking, "Good thing they built up all that muscle tissue. Because in ten years, half of these guys were at Stalingrad, eating the other half."