[lbo-talk] AFA: public schools adopting bible curriculum

npchilds at connect.ab.ca npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Wed Sep 10 13:03:00 PDT 2003

> Township v. Schempp (374 US 203), the court made a ruling: "...It
> certainly may be said that the Bible is worthy of study for its
> literary and historic qualities. Nothing we have said here indicates
> that such study of the Bible or of religion, when presented
> objectively as part of a secular program of education, may not be
> effected consistently with the First Amendment."

And this of course is why this band of cave dwellers want the bible taught, on its own, in public schools; for its historical and literary value and as part of a secular religious education curriculum.

Certainly NOT as a set of rules (dare I say, commandments) that will govern all aspects of the students thought and behavior at school and at home, or to have it touted as a 2000-3000 year old valid source of scientific information equivelant to the last 500 years of modern science.

Well, that is a relief. Wonder how I can start getting this accomplished in Alberta, where the heathens demand that the bible get taught in a comparative context.

PC