[lbo-talk] Johnny Cash RIP

Alan Jacobson alanjacobson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 12 07:50:32 PDT 2003

I saw Johnny Cash in concert a few years ago, might have been the last or second to last time he played Detroit. He received a standing ovation after every song. It was one of the most spectacular performance in my experience. Not because of flash, but rather a commanding presence that filled the room. And this was at time of poor health! I can't even imagine how it was in his prime.

I never liked country music much but in eighth grade I had an industrial drafting class where the instructor played a Cash's Greatest Hits tape over and over while we did our drawing. By the end of the course we were all singing along. Cash was always a fav after that, to this day.

Cash was not satisfied to rest on his laurels. His work with contemporary rock artists in the recent days introduced his music to a whole new generation of listeners. Awesome.

Alan J