[lbo-talk] The difficulty of measuring Russia's economy

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 07:31:35 PDT 2003

Chris, I could not agree with you more. The only thing I don't understand why you posted this piece. Absolutely useless! Nothing new was stated, just repetition of items that engender pity (?) or some kind of reinforcing comment that always seems to imply "thank God I am not Russian" (?). .

Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote: I love the line "Russian taste for industrial alcohol or toxic moonshine could be one explanation." I should be "Rural Russians who are too poor to buy liquor and therefore drink industrial alcohol or toxic moonshine could be one explanation."

Also, the "enduring dispute about whether Russians as a whole are better or worse off after a dozen years of reform" seems to exist only outside of Russia. Everybody in Russia knows that 90% of the country is worse off, except in Moscow, where they are better off.