[lbo-talk] Re: Cossacks

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:58:06 PDT 2003

>Not to be picky, but, seems to me men don't fare too well either.
>
>There is a great Tolstoy short story about the Cossacks---something
>about burying some guy up to his neck and running horses over
>him. Maybe it was the Tartars. Can't remember now. Grim, bleak, and
>empty.
>
>Chuck Grimes

I just read The Cossacks and A Prisoner in the Caucasus. Great stories. They make me want to visit the place (in another 30 years or so, when being a Westerner in the North Caucasus isn't like wearing a tee-shirt that says "Kidnap Me!" in capital letters).

There are no Tartars. Tartar is a sauce. :) There are, on the other hand, about 5 million Tatars. Actually, those wide eyes that Russians tend to have are not a Slavic trait -- it's a Tatar/Mongol legacy left by the Golden Horde and the Tatar Yoke.

_________________________________________________________________ Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es