[lbo-talk] Johnny Cash RIP

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Sun Sep 14 07:07:17 PDT 2003

At 2:59 AM -0500 14/9/03, joand315 wrote:

>I don't know if you've ever heard the song, but there were witnesses against the hanged man, thus proving his guilt. His alibi was his best friend's wife, so he couldn't or wouldn't speak up.

I can't recall ever hearing the song. (I'm trying to download it as I write.)

I see by the lyrics that the witnesses recalled merely "That the man who ran looked a lot like me." Obviously that wouldn't satisfy the burden of proof beyond reasonable doubt in a free country. A reasonable person would have to conclude that evidence to the effect that the accused "looked a lot like" the person witnessed running away leaves room for a reasonable doubt whether the accused is actually the person.

Furthermore, taken as a whole the tragedy of the song is that the accused is unwilling to prove his innocence without dishonouring his lover. There doesn't seem to be any element of irony or outrage that he should need to prove his innocence despite the alleged presumption of innocence. Far from being an anomaly, this is taken for granted, so much so that it isn't even perceived as an injustice. This is alien to me, but the culture of guilty unless proven innocence is alien to me.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas