[lbo-talk] Someone asked about Hitchens...

curtis Curtis_Leung at ibi.com
Thu Sep 11 13:51:46 PDT 2003

Dwayne's comments bring to mind the phrase administration officals used before the war whenever anyone asked if we planned to partition Iraq: we were going to maintain Iraq's "territorial integrity." With the Kurds in the north practically a separate nation since '92, and the Shia in the south wanting a theocratic state, and the whole thing held together by Saddam's brutality, how the hell were we going to do that--without keeping Saddam's repressive state institutions and apparatus?

The answer, of course: meet the new boss, same as....

Curtiss