[lbo-talk] RE: One in three Israelis wants Arafat dead Poll

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Sun Sep 14 21:10:40 PDT 2003

This would explain the apparent ease with which this option is being discussed in the Israeli media. There obviously is a domestic audience for this stuff, and as noted I think this number is low, I suspect there's a sizeable contingent of the population who are reluctant to answer yes to a pollsters questions that involve killing specific people.

I'd like to offer a competing hypothesis for what Israel's plans are. I think the consequences of assassinating Arafat are so broad and so unknowable in their consequence that they even scare the shit out of goons like Sharon and his cabinet. My suspicion is they're laying the PR ground work for a massive operation in Gaza, probably even involving expulsions and more selective assassination of Hamas, or whoever else they want. That is, mayhem and violence with consequences they feel they can control. They can label it as 'combatting terrorism' and earn only mild opprobrium from the rest of the world.

Or, metaphorically, if I spend a couple of days saying I'm coming over to shoot you, your family and your pets then turn up and shoot out your porch lights and burn down your shed, you feel pretty lucky and there's less hell to pay for me in the neighborhood.

PC

>Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 05:52:43 +0530 (IST)
>Subject: [lbo-talk] One in three Israelis wants Arafat dead Poll
>
>HindustanTimes.com
>
>Saturday, September 13, 2003
>
>One in three Israelis wants Arafat dead: Poll

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo