[lbo-talk] Re: Learning to be stupid

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Sep 15 00:23:38 PDT 2003

Joan wrote -- if there were a consumer's strike...

"Wouldn't we just be throwing out neighbors out of work?"

Do we need jobs? Or do we need a life? On some level, having a decent life and working is interconnected. Under capitalism however, jobs and the goods produced through them must multiply infinitely in order to keep the system going. We are all seeing what this is doing to the earth and to each of us.

As producers/workers have less and less power, it seems to me that a consumers' strike is far more damaging to "business as usual" than a workers' strike.

It's an idea. It's not the end of the discussion but the beginning.

As for throwing people out of work, that's already happening and it will continue to happen in the neo-imperialist pursuit of lower and lower labor costs.

Joanna